This is a very simple yet modern dish. Serve it as an interactive starter where the guests simply break open the truffle oil bubble and let it run over the tomatoes. Enjoy with crusty bread.
400g punnet tomatoes on the vine
500ml wood chips, soaked in water
4 whole star anise
2 cinnamon quills
2 black tea bags
30ml olive oil
250ml Isomalt sugar
60ml truffle oil
freshly ground black pepper and
- Line a large pan with tin foil. Cover the base of the lined pan with the wood chips, whole spices and contents of the tea bags. Place a cooling rack on-top of the wood chips.
- Arrange the vine tomatoes on top of the rack keeping the vines intact. Cover with a second layer of tinfoil and heat base of pan.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes or until smoke starts to appear. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the smoke, then toss the tomatoes in the olive oil.
- Place the isomalt sugar in a small saucepan and place over high heat. Let it melt to a clear liquid. Being very careful, dip the base of a round cutter inside the melted isomalt continuously until a thin membrane forms across the cutter. Working very quickly, drop 15ml of truffle oil onto the membrane, then lift the cutter up to form a small truffle oil capsule. Repeat until 4 capsules are formed.
- Serve the smoked vine tomatoes in bamboo containers seasoned with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt with the truffle oil bubble on the side.