New Durban restaurant Wish on Florida’s Head Chef Gugu Wanda shares his recipe for Ocean Fresh Pasta. With a creamy tomato base and plenty of seafood, it’s a definite crowd-pleaser.
Ocean Fresh Pasta
6 king prawns
120g calamari tubes
4 squid heads (for garnish)
Choice of pasta: tagliatelle or penne 250g
1 whole onion
fresh rosemary and thyme
150 cup cream
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 tablespoons of garlic
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
10 ml of lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onion and tomatoes.
- In a saucepan saute onions before adding the rosemary and thyme.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the tomatoes, and allow to simmer until cooked.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato paste and mix well. Take off the heat and leave to one side.
- Boil 500ml of water in a pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- When boiling, add your pasta.
- Allow to cook for 8 minutes, or until al dente.
- Once cooked drain and run under cold running water. Put to one side.
- In a saucepan, saute freshly chopped onions and a tablespoon of garlic. Add your seafood.
- Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice, add 1½ serving spoons of your tomato base to the seafood
- Next add your precooked pasta
- Add your cream and allow to simmer until it reaches your desired thickness.