“Everything about this dish just shouts Easter to me,” says Chef Mynhardt Joubert about his recipe for White Chocolate Hot Cross Bun & Butter Pudding. “Hot cross buns and chocolate all mixed up in a wonderful hot sticky combination. This recipe creates a silky custard that lines the bottom of the dish.” This glorious recipe from Chef Joubert is best served with ice cream or custard, and for an extra touch of decadence – add a shot of brandy to the mix.
White Chocolate Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding
Prep time: 20 min
Baking time: 45 min
Oven: 180 degrees Celsius
12 Hot cross buns
500 ml Cream
250 ml Full cream milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract or 2 vanilla pods
300g White chocolate
5 Egg yolks
2 Whole eggs
150 g Castor sugar
- Slice and generously butter 12 fresh hot cross buns. Cut them through lengthways and arrange in a buttered baking tray.
- Combine and heat 500 ml of cream and 250 ml of milk together.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or two scraped vanilla pods, if available. As soon as the liquid is warm add 300 g of white chocolate and stir until everything has melted together.
- Be careful not to cook.
- Whisk together 5 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs with 150 g of castor sugar and slowly pour over the warm cream mixture until all is blended.
- Pour mixture over hot cross buns and let it soak for 15 min.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or until set.
- Serve hot