The Hussar Grill first opened its doors in 1964 and has, since then, been serving guests its classic Béarnaise Sauce. The mother sauce is an emulsion of butter and egg yolks, flavoured with tarragon and a touch of vinegar, and is a wonderful accompaniment to a beautifully-cooked steak. While the sauce classically involves a lot of elbow grease, the use of a blender in this version makes this recipe a simple and effective one.
The Hussar Grill’s Béarnaise Sauce
190g Butter, melted
20ml White vinegar
4ml Fresh chopped tarragon or a good pinch of dried tarragon
2 Egg yolks
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
Lemon juice (to taste)
- In a small saucepan combine the white wine vinegar, tarragon and 20ml water, salt and pepper and cook the mixture over high heat until it is reduced to 10ml.
- Remove from the heat and add 10ml cold water.
- Place in a blender, add egg yolks and blend until thick and creamy.
- When all the butter has been incorporated, season correctly with lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. If too thick, add a drop of hot water.
- Serve immediately or serve at room temperature. To keep warm, place in a wide thermos or keep over a lukewarm bain-marie – be careful, the sauce can split.
For more information on The Hussar Grill, visit its website.