The Federal’s “polished, greasy spoon” is dishing up something new… weekend brunch. The Melville-based eatery, is extending its food offering to brunch on Saturdays and Sundays between 09:00 and 12:00.
“Since opening five months ago, we’ve seen how our customers come here as a comfort pit-stop away from home, now we can make sure they have something to eat during brunch time too,” says Chef Patron of The Federal, James Diack.
The small, yet decidedly tasty menu, has eight options to choose from. They will no doubt stretch taste buds and challenge morning eating rituals. From something spicy, to something healthy, The Fed’s got it covered. There’s even a vegan option.
The menu is priced at just R70 which will get you a breakfast with either tea, coffee, a glass of fresh juice, or a Mimosa (for those that like to start the day with a bit more punch).
The dishes on the menu are:
- Huevos A La Flamenca: three organic eggs baked and served in a pan with seared spinach, chorizo and fresh tomato
- Moorish Eggs: Free range lamb meatballs and eggs poached in a fragrant tomato sauce
- Vegan Eggs Benedict: tofu and turmeric spiced cakes served on a potato rosti topped with spinach and vegan friendly hollandaise sauce
- The Fed Benedict: organic, free range poached eggs served on a sweet potato rosti and seared spinach, topped with wild boar bacon and hollandaise sauce. Slow roasted tomato served on the side.
- The Fed Brunch: two organic eggs done to your preference served with wild boar bacon, a sweet potato rosti and a handmade lamb banger
- Louisiana Pancakes: American style pancakes served with either wild boar bacon OR fried chicken topped with fried banana and maple syrup
- All American Granola: toasted and rolled oats, dried fruits and assorted nuts mixed through with maple syrup, coconut and yoghurt
The Federal, which opened its doors in September 2016, has quickly become the go-to place for a quick, tasty bite to eat. Dishes that are reminiscent of those often found in old-school New York delis.
“As with all my restaurants and dishes, we’re supplied by family’s farm in the Magaliesburg, Brightside. This means we can trace up to 95% of the ingredients in our dishes, back to our own sustainable farm. It also means that the dishes will change based on seasonality and what’s available from the farm,” explains Diack. “It’s how we keep things fresh and interesting.”
The Federal is located just off the corner of Second Avenue and Seventh Street in Melville. For more information: +27 10 900 4876 / firstname.lastname@example.org.