If you’ve never made your own Thai Red Curry Paste before, you’re in for a treat. Fresh and flavourful, the paste makes for a lively curry that’s made that much better topped with sweet basil and peanuts. This recipe uses Marvello Multi-purpose fat spread – to find out more about the product, click here to watch a video from RCL Foods executive chef Brad Kavanagh.
Thai Red Chicken Curry with Sweet Basil and Peanuts
2kg Chicken Breast, raw and sliced
200g Multi-purpose Fat Spread
250g Red Curry Paste
6 Lemon Grass stalks, bruised with back of a knife
20 Lemon Leaves
600g Carrots, sliced
600g Courgettes, sliced
250g Pok Choy, sliced or halved
100g Peanuts,whole and toasted
50ml Soy Sauce
1,2L Coconut Milk
1,2L Meadowland Classique
300g White Beech Mushroom
5 Chillis, sliced
- In a pot, heat oil and add Marvello Butter Flavoured Spread and onions with sugar and salt cook until translucent and soft.
- Add lemongrass stalks and lemon leaves and cook until the aroma rises. Add the curry paste and cook down on low for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken breast in the pot and coat all the pieces with the paste. Once coloured, about 10 minutes of cooking, add carrots and toss.
- Finish off with soy, coconut milk and coconut cream.
- Once simmered, add the balance of the veg and slowly simmer until infused. If further seasoning is needed, balance with salt and sugar
- To serve, add basil, coriander and toasted peanuts and chilli for those seeking heat. Steamed jasmine or basmati rice would be suggested for this meat
Thai Red Curry Paste
10ml Roasted Coriander seed, ground
8 Red Chillies, seeded
60g Garlic, finely crushed
30g Lemon Grass, finely sliced
30g Coriander root, finely chopped
5ml shrimp paste (trasi)
5ml Roasted Cumin seed, ground
40g Onion, finely chopped
10ml Fresh lime zest
20 Black peppercorns
- Place all the above ingredients in the blender and blend till smooth.
- Replace shrimp paste with fish sauce if necessary.
To find more recipes, click here.