This year’s winner of the Unilever Food Solutions Chef of the Year Jean-Pierre de la Motte takes us straight to Thailand with this light, fresh and punchy salad.
Thai prawn dressing:
1.5 Tbsp grated palm sugar
½ Tbsp finely chopped red chilli
4 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 2 limes
3 Tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
1 Tbsp sweet soy.
1 tsp finely grated garlic
2 tsp finely grated ginger
1/5 tsp sesame oil
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, cover and keep in fridge. This dressing is for the prawns while plating up.
6 Argentinean prawns, peeled and deveined with tail left on
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp. grated ginger
15ml olive oil
Zest of ½ lime
Juice of ½ lime
- Marinate the peeled prawns in the remaining ingredients for 15-20min.
- Heat up a medium sized non-stick pan with a little olive oil.
- Grill the prawns in the pan, till a golden colour is achieved on each side (40 secs on each side).
- Remove the prawns from the pan, place into a small shallow dish and set aside.
1 small Hass avocado
Juice of ½ lime
30ml Kewpie mayo
1 Tbsp toasted black and white sesame seeds
15g shaved Daikon radish ribbons
15g shaved cucumber ribbons without skin
10g shaved carrot ribbons
5g thinly sliced salad radish with skin
5g thinly sliced baby fennel bulb
2.5g thinly sliced large red chilli
2.5g thinly sliced spring onion
1g picked coriander leaves
- De-pit and peel the avocado, slice into four rings. Dress with the lime juice as this preserves the colour of the avocado.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together all the shaved and thinly sliced salad ingredients, excluding the coriander leaves, chilli and spring onion.
- Dress the prawns with the Thai dressing and allow to soak while plating the rest of the salad.
- Squeeze some Kewpie mayo into the bottom of a lined steaming basket.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the bottom of the basket and place avocado slices as shown in photo below.
- Place the mixed shaved salad ingredients onto the avocado and Kewpie mayo.
- Arrange the prawns to nestle between the shaved ribbons.
- Pipe in some of the Kewpie mayo and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Drizzle the Thai dressing over the salad and finish by sprinkling with chilli, coriander and spring onion.