One of the highlights of The Table Bay’s high tea is its Strawberry Melt dish, which showcases the delights of strawberry season. “We love the versatility of strawberries. They can be used in an array of magnificent desserts, compotes, salads, sauces and dressings. With the Western Cape just emerging from strawberry picking season, I was excited to give these delectable gems another chance to shine. The Strawberry Melt is a refreshing take on tiramisu, burgeoning with gorgeous strawberry flavour,” says Executive Chef Rambarun.
4 Egg yolks
125g Castor sugar
250g Mascarpone cheese
3 ½ Gelatin leaves
312g Fresh cream
30g Strawberry paste
100ml Strawberry compote
1 Loaf pound cake, portioned
250g White chocolate, melted
Red food colouring
- Whip egg yolks and castor sugar until pale and fluffy. Add mascarpone and mix until just incorporated.
- Soak gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whip cream to medium peaks.
- Heat a little of the cream and add the gelatin.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg mixture and lastly fold in the strawberry paste.
- Layering, pipe the tiramisu mixture on the bottom as well as on the sides to create a “wall” along the sides.
- Add a little strawberry compote and a piece of pound cake.
- Freeze the tiramisu. Once frozen, remove and dip into melted white chocolate.
- Pipe the top with more strawberry tiramisu to close it off.