Sandton Convention Centre is the proud home of Standard Bank Joy of Jazz. In celebration of the 21st Joy of Jazz, Sandton Convention Centre’s Executive Chef, James Khoza has jazzed up some distinctly South African recipes. Here, we feature two accompanying elements from his dish of ostrich fillet – the spinach orzo and spiced carrot puree that accompany the fillet.
500g orzo rice
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves, garlic
1 litre vegetable stock
1½ cups spinach purée
½ cup grated Parmesan
salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, sweat the onions until translucent then add garlic and the rice.
- Add vegetable stock and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Once cooked, strain any excess liquid and then add the spinach puree and cream as desired.
- Finish off with Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Spiced Carrot Purée
1 large carrot, grated
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 red chilli, seeds only
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté onions, garlic, peppers, and spices until soft. Add the carrots and allow to cook for at least 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, purée to a smooth consistency. Check Seasoning.