Signature Chardonnay/Pinot Noir with honey, soy, and ginger-glazed salmon with pak choy and peanuts
The Spier Signature range of easy-going anytime wines are some of Spier’s best-loved, perfect for enjoying a glass or to enhance any meal.
Offering exceptional value, and showcasing Spier’s good values, the wines are liquid proof of their ethos: honouring more than 300 years of winemaking tradition, supporting our communities, and protecting our environment.
The Spier Signature Chardonnay/Pinot Noir pairs excellently with this Asian-inspired salmon dish, which packs a punch with just a handful of tasty ingredients. The light pink sipper effortlessly matches the glazed salmon, but the balanced and crisp finish emboldens the sweet, umami flavours on the palate. For extra hungry guests, bulk this dish up with quick and easy Asian noodles and steamed greens. Yum!
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) honey
- 15-30ml (1-2 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 300–350 g fresh salmon fillets, portioned, pin-boned
- a few steamed baby pak choy to serve
- noodles, cooked (optional)
- 1 handful salted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped to serve
- a few lime wedges (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black sesame (optional)
In a small jar, mix the soy sauce, honey, lime juice, ginger, and garlic. Set aside. In a non-stick pan, heat the oil and place the salmon portions skin side down in the pan. Fry for about 3-4 minutes until crisp on the bottom, then add the glaze to the pan, spooning it over the salmon as it bubbles up. Cover with a lid for about 30 seconds, then remove the lid and take it off the heat. Serve hot with the steamed pak choy (noodles are optional), spooning more of the glaze from the pan over the fish, then scatter with peanuts and black sesame. Serve at once with a few lime wedges on the side.
Spier Signature wines can be tasted and purchased at the farm in Stellenbosch and are widely available at retail outlets and supermarkets and online at shop.spier.co.za.