This pretty in pink rose-flavoured Crème Caramel is a floral take on a true classic – and a light and creamy end to the meal. Recipe by Yolande Schoeman. Photograph by Kelly Zetler.
Rose Syrup Crème Caramel
Makes 6 small ramekins
Rose Syrup Caramel
50g castor sugar
20ml rose syrup
- To make the rose syrup caramel, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved then cook until the mixture becomes light caramel in colour.
- Add the rose syrup and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from heat and pour 15ml of the caramelized sugar into each of the 6 lightly greased ramekins or dariole moulds, swirling to cover the entire base.
1 vanilla pod – split
1 egg yolk
- To make the custard, scald the milk, 25g of the sugar and the vanilla pod together in a saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolk and remaining sugar and mix well.
- Temper the warm milk mixture into the eggs.
- Mix thoroughly and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Ladle the custard mixture into each mould and bake in a water bath at 150°C until the custard is set, about 45 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before removing from mould.