These savoury Parmesan and Pine Nut Marshmallows are a deliciously unexpected canape – and the pairing of Parmesan with pine nuts works perfectly.
250ml Parmesan, grated
250ml pine nuts
500ml white sugar
12 gelatine leaves, soaked in ice water.
Sea salt crystals, to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Thinly sprinkle the grated Parmesan on a silpad. Place in the oven and cook until the Parmesan melts and starts to brown lightly – this only takes a few minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool until crisp, then place in a plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot pan until they start to darken. Using a juicer, pass the still warm pine nuts through the juicer to extract their oil. Strain the oil, then chill it in the fridge.
- In a medium sized saucepan combine the sugar, 85ml water and pine nut oil. Bring to a slow simmer, then boil until 120°C is reached on a sugar thermometer.
- In the meantime, melt the gelatine in 60ml water over a low heat, then pour into a large glass bowl and begin whipping with an electric beater. While beating, slowly pour in the hot sugar mixture and add the salt. Continue whipping until white and glossy, about 10-15 minutes. Pour into a well-greased container and set to a thickness of 2.5cm. When set, un-mould the marshmallows and cut into 2.5cm cubes. Roll in the crushed Parmesan leaving two sides un-coated. Top with a sea salt crystal and serve.