Chef Oscar Baard from the SA Culinary Olympic Team, uses South African cuisine as his inspiration for this dish. Chef Oscar’s culinary style relates strongly to his heritage. “Everything that I grew up eating, I use in my own unique way, as instilled in me by my forefathers. I always try to keep my dishes as local as possible, while using international techniques.”
The South African Culinary Olympic squad – our Springbok chefs – will be taking part in the 2020 IKA Culinary Olympics in Stuttgart, Germany. Follow the South African Culinary Olympic Team on Twitter (@CulinaryTeamSA) or keep up to date with all the Olympic squad action on Facebook (@CulinaryTeamSA).
120g Butter (at room temperature)
90g Icing sugar
1.5 Whole eggs
30g Ground almonds
215g Cake flour
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Mixing after each addition of egg.
- Sieve the flour. Then add all dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Wrap and refrigerate the dough for 2-4 hours.
- Knead the dough softer and roll out dough to 3mm thickness, cut rounds and line tart rings.
- Blind bake at 170°C for 10-15 minutes. Leave to cool off completely.
375g Full cream milk
30g Whole eggs
50g Granulated sugar
Ground cinnamon (for dusting)
- Place the butter and milk in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Temper the egg mixture by mixing whilst adding the hot liquid.
- Pipe mixture into the tart cases and bake at 175°C for 6 minutes.
- Leave to cool off and lightly dust with ground cinnamon.
62g Egg whites
105g Caster sugar
25g Fresh basil leaves
- Prepare a French meringue with the egg whites and sugar.
- Whilst it’s whisking, finely chop the fresh basil leaves.
- Fold in the chopped basil. Pipe into long sticks.
- Bake at 100°C for 1 hour.
300g Caster sugar
500g Guava purée
- Make a sugar syrup with the sugar, glucose and water. Boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Leave to cool off completely.
- Mix the puree with the cold syrup. Pour into the ice cream machine and churn for 30 minutes.
Crispy Basil leaves
5 Basil leaves
- Lightly brush each leaves with oil.
- Tightly wrap a microwavable bowl with cling wrap. Lay the leaves on the plastic. Cover the leaves with cling wrap, make sure it’s tight. Microwave for 3-5 minutes. Remove the leaves from the wrap and leave to cool off.
- Use as a garnish.