We love us a lemon tart, and here the Vitality HealthyFood Studio puts a healthy twist on it by using dates for sweetness in the crust.
Serves: 12, Preparation time: 20min, Cooking time: 25min
140ml lemon juice
80g unsalted butter
80g granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
180g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Place the coconut, dates and water in a food processer and blend until smooth.
- Press coconut mixture into a greased 30cm tart case. Bake the tart case in the oven for 15 minutes or until dry.
- Place butter, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl over a double boiler. Whisk the mixture until the sugar has dissolved.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk them and slowly add to the lemon mixture. Continue to whisk until the lemon mixture thickens. The mixture needs to be able to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into the tart case and place in the refrigerator to set.
- Store any extra lemon curd in a sterilized jar. Lemon curd will last in the fridge for a few weeks.