A contemporary take on a classic schnitzel dish, in this recipe Ready2Go’s new Lemon & Black Pepper Chicken Schnitzels are paired with a creamy mushroom sauce and buttery mashed potatoes – the ultimate comfort food!
For the chicken schnitzels:
4 Ready2Go Lemon & Black Pepper Chicken Schnitzels
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the mashed potatoes:
450 g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
150 g butter
1/4 cup (60 ml) warm milk
Salt and white pepper to taste
For the creamy mushroom sauce:
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
250 g variety of wild mushrooms, sliced
2 sprigs thyme
3 Tbsp (45 ml) white wine
1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
1/2 cup double cream
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
To make the mashed potatoes:
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked through and soft.
- Drain potatoes well and return to a saucepan. Add the butter and warm milk and mash until completely smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
To make the creamy mushroom sauce:
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and gently sauté until lightly golden brown.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and continue to sauté until golden brown and all moisture from mushrooms has evaporated.
- Pour in the wine and allow to boil for a minute. Add the stock, cream and mustard and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or until reduced to a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry chicken schnitzels for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Place 2 schnitzels onto each plate and serve alongside some buttery mashed potatoes. Pour over the creamy mushroom sauce or serve it on the side.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.