The Institute of Culinary Art shows us how to make perfect pasta, no Italian genes necessary! Photographs by Kelly Zetler.
200 g white bread flour
1 ml salt
10 ml olive oil
- Sift flour and salt together. Break the eggs in a bowl.
- Add olive oil to eggs
- Beat eggs and olive oil. Optional: Add squid ink, tomato-, beetroot-, or spinach purée to flavour and colour the pasta.
- Tip flour onto the working surface and make a well.
- Add the egg mixture in the centre of the well.
- Using a fork, mix the flour gradually in from the sides of the well.
- Mix together to form a kneadable dough. Dough should be rough and pliable.
- Knead until smooth and elastic. Rest for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- To start rolling, dust dough with flour and start rolling on thickest setting. Continue until lowest setting is reached. Roll through tagliatelle cutters and cook in boiling, salted water ± 3 – 4 minutes till al denté.
- Squid ink pasta, serve with deep fried, crumbed calamari, fresh baby leaf salad & green oil.