Here, the Institute of Culinary Arts shows us how to make flaky pastry, proving that even if you don’t have cold hands, you can still master this integral pastry technique. Photographs by Kelly Zetler.
125g bread flour
295g cake flour
210g butter, unsalted, cut into large cubes
70g shortening, cut into large cubes
140g water, ice cold
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Place a baking tray in the oven and allow to preheat.
- Place sifted flour and salt in a food processor, add the butter and shortening.
- Rub in until butter and shortening resembles large flakes.
- Add ice cold water, enough to form a dough.
- Remove from the machine and flatten into rectangle with side of palms. Wrap in cling wrap, allow to rest in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Roll out on floured surface until 3 times the original length.
- Brush off excess flour.
- Do a 3-fold and allow to rest a further 30 minutes.
- Roll out to 3mm thick. Cut round discs with cutter to form a base and lid for each pie.
- Neatly line moulds, flour side up.
- Add filling. Brush rim with water and secure lid on top.
- Crimp the edges and snip the top. Egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake on preheated baking tray till golden brown.
- Plate together with two or three additional apple components of your choice.