Food trends, exporting products, social media, food labelling regulations, sustainable seafood – this year’s Host-ED Theatre had it all! The free-to-attend seminar line-up was packed with interesting speakers discussing issues which affect all facets of the hospitality industry. Visitors were engaged during presentations, and many felt that the information offered to them was valuable and relevant to their specific industries.
In total, 21 topical and relevant presentations were delivered, including a panel discussion on proposed food labelling regulations and the implications for the hospitality, food & beverage value chain as well as the proposed national Liquor Amendment Act and the industry implications. The panellists were Januz Luterek (Partner: Food & Consumer Law Hahn & Hahn), Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa (Chief Executive Officer FEDHASA) and Wendy Alberts (Chair of Restaurant & Food Services Association of SA – RASA).
This year, Host-ED partnered with Zomato and the Zomato Restaurant Summit was held on Monday. The seminars, which focused on the restaurant industry, included:
- ‘Finding the gap for change, thriving in changing industries’ by Steven Murray, Country Manager Zomato South Africa;
- ‘Trends that each SME owner needs to know about’ by Vernon de Wet of Retail Capital;
- ‘Show stoppers defining SA’S top restaurants’ by Abigail Donnelly of Woolworths TASTE magazine and Eat Out;
- ‘The guilt free approach to sustainable seafood sourcing’ by Melisha Nagiah of WWF – Sassi SA;
Other topics covered at HOST-ED included:
- ‘Transforming the future of food’ by Thomas van Viegen, Sustainability & Environmental Strategist from Ernst & Young;
- Trends in food and hospitality by various top speakers including chef Arnold Tanzer
- The launchpad toolkit for exporting products for growing consumer markets by Liz Whitehouse of Africa House;
- the implications of the proposed food labelling regulations, the sugar tax, and the liquor amendment act by different speakers; understanding halaal food by the SANHA Halaal authority;
- Opportunities in food and beverage NPD by Jodi-Ann Pearton of Food Design Agency.