The Mother City’s latest addition to its hospitality mix is the Gorgeous George Hotel, located on Bree Street in Cape Town and part of the Design Hotels stable – a collection of 300 privately-owned and operated design-led hotels that reflect local flavour. The property will be wooing locals with newly-opened Gigi Rooftop – an 80-seater indoor/outdoor bar and restaurant on the sixth floor with top hospitality talent creating a unique experience.
Chef Guy Bennett, previously of Grande Provence, is at the head of the kitchen and will be serving up his take on modern classics over breakfast, lunch and dinner. The drinks menu has been designed by Jody Rahme, previously manager of Sin+Tax, and he’ll be managing the bar operations at Gigi Rooftop.
“The heart of Gorgeous George, and Gigi Rooftop in particular, is community,” says Rahme. “It’s where a melting pot of well-travelled, storied creatives meet with local powerhouses to have fun. It’s a rich blend of art, culture, romance and intrigue, so it’s only natural that our cocktail menu reflects that adventurous, playful colour, vibrancy and truly global craftsmanship.”
He describes the menu as “tiki dressed up…with playful, exotic flavours served in an adventurous but super-chic, elegant way.” This fits in nicely with the relaxed, tropical-island-style décor and rooftop features such as a wooden and terracotta-tiled pool deck, emerald-green glass-panelled swimming pool.
- George of the Jungle, a bourbon-based cocktail, blended with gin, pineapple spekboom tepache, Italian liqueur and African ginger and strawberry syrup;
- Carrot Me Away contains roasted carrot juice, mango cordial and beer vermouth shaken with premium American bourbon
- El Pulque, a combination of barrel-aged tequila mixed with gluhwein and housemade coconut oil liqueur
- Isiqhingi (‘island’ in Zulu) is a sweet fruity rum shaken with tropical vermouth, passionfruit chardonnay, peach cider, caramelised-lime juice and orange-lavender bitters served in a beautifully rounded ceramic bowl
- Pennywise, a tribute to local bourbon brand ambassador Lauren Penny, is bourbon shaken with fresh espresso, woodchip Campari, vanilla infused herbal liqueur and topped with marshmallow foam
- Glam Canina, for instance, is “unglorified rum flipped on its head”, shaken with pineapple pesto, curry verjuice and a Christmas spice maraschino liqueur
- Green Elixir, meanwhile, is made with a pioneering local craft gin, fresh celery juice and fortified sweet Italian wine, infused with herbs and sweet floral botanicals and toasted lemon.
For more information on the Gorgeous George hotel, click here.