A simply delicious recipe for spicy fish tacos, with a marinade that can be used on chicken or pork instead of fish if you don’t have any to hand. Make sure to marinade your protein for at least one hour (preferably three) and pair with the Spier Signature Chenin Blanc as the Spier team suggests
Fish Tikka Masala Tacos
For the fish tikka:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground fennel
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garam masala
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ – ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
2 cloves garlic, finely grated
A knob of ginger, finely grated
Finely grated zest and juice of a medium lemon
½ cup plain yoghurt
Salt & pepper
600 g firm white fish, cubed
15 ml vegetable oil, for frying
For assembling the taco:
1 cup plain yoghurt
A generous handful fresh dill, finely chopped
6 medium size soft flour tortillas
About 2 cups sliced tomato
1 small red onion, finely sliced
A handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
• Prepare the fish tikka: Add the cumin, fennel, paprika, masala, turmeric, chili (optional), garlic, ginger, lemon zest and juice and yoghurt to a ceramic or plastic bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the cubed fish and mix to coat all over. Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours to marinate.
• Heat a wide large pan over high heat, add the oil, and then add the fish with marinade to the pan. Stir while frying for about 5 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the marinade reduces to a thick coating. Remove from the heat and set aside.
• Mix the yoghurt and dill in a small mixing bowl.
• Assemble the tacos: Top each taco with a dollop of dill yoghurt, fish tikka, sliced tomato, red onion and fresh coriander.
• Serve at once, preferably with a glass of Spier Signature Chenin Blanc.