One of the buzziest, busiest sections of Food & Hospitality Africa powered by Hostex is The Skillery, hosted by SA Chefs, where chefs not only show off their skills in demonstrations, but in the culinary competitions that run throughout the three-day show. So, if you want to show the industry what you’re made of and enter one of the culinary competitions running at this year’s show, here are some tips from the SA Chefs judges:
- ALWAYS read the competition requirements carefully and ensure you understand exactly what is expected of you.
- Do not be scared to ask questions: it’s always better to be informed.
- Ensure that your entry is submitted before the closing date.
- Keep your dishes simple and elegant.
- Never do something you have never tried for the first time in competition.
- Practise practise practise! And then practise some more.
- Always have a work plan and practise your dish(es) accordingly.
- Expect that things will go wrong and plan for crisis management.
- Focus on the following:
- Taste and seasoning
- Flavouring and texture of dish
- Enough sauce (if required)
- Presentation: keep it neat and clean
- Diversity of skill and cooking methods
- Hygiene in the kitchen and on yourself
- Have fun and be creative!
Food & Hospitality Africa powered by Hostex will be running from the 6 – 8 May 2018 at the Gallagher Convention Centre. The show is a not-to-be-missed event where you’ll be able to check out all the latest equipment, products and trends in the hospitality industry, as well as network with industry leaders. To register for free, click here and for more information on the show, click here.