Chef Xanthos Giannakopoulos Created Summer Flavour with Nola by using Nola Ultra Creamy both inside and outside of this delicious meat- and cheese-filled sandwich. He coats the sandwich with Nola Ultra Creamy before placing into the sandwich press, forming a crispy, flavour-filled coating. The Cubano Sandwich is an excellent way of using up excess cooked meat, so adjust the type and amount of meat you use according to what’s on hand. In this particular version we’ve used Swiss Cheese, but you can substitute with another white cheese such as mozzarella.
5 medium-sized Baguettes or French breads, sliced horizontally
300ml Yellow Mustard
375ml Nola Ultra Creamy
900g Swiss Cheese or mozzarella, sliced
900g Dill Pickles, thinly sliced
350g Roast Beef
350g Smoked Beef
Nola Ultra Creamy, for coating sandwich
- Combine mustard and Nola Ultra Creamy. Spread the mixture on the inside of baguette halves.
- Place slices of Swiss Cheese on all halves of the roll.
- On the bottom half, layer all of the pickles, pastrami, roast beef and smoked beef.
- Using a basting brush, spread the additional Nola Ultra Creamy on the exterior surface of both sides of the roll.
- If using a sandwich press, place the sandwich inside and press with a moderate amount of pressure for approximately 7 – 8 minutes.
- If using a griddle pan or the plancha, place the sandwich onto the grill and press down onto the sandwich as the first side crisps up.
- Once crisp, flip the sandwich over and press down again until both sides are crisp.
- To serve, slice the sandwich into four pieces, on the diagonal, serving each guest two pieces immediately.