Pickled fish is synonymous with Easter in the Cape and everyone has their very own family favourite. Steenberg Executive Chef Kerry Kilpin of Bistro Sixteen82 and Tryn fame is passionate about using ethically sourced fish for her recipe. Watch her make her delicious #Lockdown Pickled Fish Tacos here.
Cellarmaster Elunda Basson suggests enjoying Chef Kerry’s take on this traditional Easter dish with Steenberg Semillon: “Its weight and texture allow it to stand up to richer seafood dishes, that’s why it is a perfect match with Kerry’s delicious pickled fish.”
Pickled Fish Tacos
12 x Taco shells
250ml double cream yoghurt
50g chopped coriander
Salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
150g chopped tomatoes
1 x red onion chopped finely
¼ cucumber cubed
15g coriander chopped
1 avo cubed
Salt and pepper
15ml olive oil
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
Pickled Cape Bream
1kg Cape Bream, cut into portions
150 g sugar
500ml white vinegar
5ml whole cumin
5ml coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
10ml fish spice
3 x bay leaves
5ml mild curry powder
3 x crushed garlic cloves
5ml grated ginger
3 x chopped onions
10ml corn flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
Flour, for dusting
Salt and black pepper
- In a pan over a medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and gently sauté the onion until translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and spices and fry gently for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 20 minutes. Thicken with corn flour to a nice coating consistency. Season to taste.
- Dust the fish with the seasoned flour and pat off any excess.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based frying pan and, when hot, fry the fish until golden.
- Place a layer of fish in a deep sterile glass or non-metallic container and pour a little of the hot sauce over it, to cover. Continue layering fish and sauce until all the fish is covered. Cool, then chill until ready to serve. Best made at least 24 hours in advance.
- Fill the “taco” shells with a pickled fish and top with salsa and coriander yoghurt. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.