These light and fluffy savoury scones are packed full of cheese, spring onions and macon, and would be a welcome addition to any brunch menu.
Cheddar, Spring Onion and Macon Scone
80g Spring Onions, chopped
2tsps Mustard Powder
200g Macon, chopped
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
80g Marvello Bake
250ml Full Fat Plain Yoghurt
400g Cake Flour
2 Large Eggs
200g Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan assisted.
- Fry the macon and spring onions together till cooked, set aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients and rub in the cold chopped Marvello Bake with fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and the yoghurt together and add the cooked macon and spring onions.
- Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients and bring together to form a dough. Do not over mix.
- Turn dough out and shape into a circle, press down lightly till it is approximately 4cm thick.
- Cut the dough into 12 wedges, place each wedge on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush each scone with beaten egg then top with a bit more grated cheese and a sprig of fresh thyme.
- Bake for 25 minutes.