Sandton Convention Centre is the proud home of Standard Bank Joy of Jazz. In celebration of the 21st Joy of Jazz, Sandton Convention Centre’s Executive Chef, James Khoza has jazzed up some distinctly South African recipes. Here, we feature his recipe for Biltong Mousse, served with Crispy Onion Rings and Tomato Gazpacho.
2 cups sliced beef/kudu biltong
1 cup cream cheese
½ large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 sprig thyme, finely chopped
- Dry biltong in the oven at 120 C.
- When dry, blend to a smooth powder and keep ½ cup of the mixture for the dust.
- In a heavy duty pan, sauté onion, garlic and thyme until translucent.
- Transfer the onion mixture into a blender then add the rest of the ingredients and blend to a smooth paste adding fresh cream to the desired consistency.
- Pour the mixture into moulds and freeze.
Crispy Onion Rings
2 baby onions, sliced
1 cup corn flour
1 tbsp. paprika
½ cup buttermilk
- Mix corn flour with paprika and salt then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the buttermilk.
- Toss the onion rings into the cornflour mix then into the buttermilk and repeat the process twice then deep fry until golden brown.
4 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 large cucumber, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
50g chives, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
- Blend everything together in a blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Strain using a muslin cloth for a clear gazpacho.
- Chill in the fridge for at least three hours for the flavours to combine.