A savoury take on granita, pile the almond granita up like snow and serve with liquid nitrogen for a dramatic palate cleansing canape.
8ml rice wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 slices white bread
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 edible flowers
- Toast the almonds until lightly browned.
- In a blender, combine the almonds with the cream, vinegar, garlic and bread and blend to a fine paste. Strain through a sieve to extract the liquid from the solids. Discard the solids. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the mixture onto a flat tray and freeze. Once frozen, scrape with a fork to create fine white crystals, then place back into the freezer.
- Place four plates in the freezer to frost.
- When ready to serve, remove the plates from the freezer and top each with a pile of granita – it should resemble a heap of snow. Garnish with 1 flower standing up straight as if it were growing in the snow. Pour over a splash of nitrogen and serve immediately.