Last night, 29 March 2022 South African culinary greats were honoured at the 4th annual Luxe Restaurant Awards.
The prestigious awards, which honour the finest contributions to the South African restaurant industry, were announced to an intimate audience of 100 leading industry figures at the trendy Ethos Restaurant in Rosebank, Johannesburg.
Well renowned SA celebrity, Shashi Naidoo MC’ed the event in style. While those in attendance included celebrated chefs; James Gaag, The Lazy Makoti, Siba Mtongana and Wandile Mabaso. As well as entrepreneur Nicky Van Der Walt and his wife and model, Lee-Ann Liebenberg.
The winners were chosen by a team of anonymous food critics as well as by a popular public digital vote. The panel of judges was convened by Chad Fourie, Chief Judge of the Luxe Restaurant Awards and Managing Director of The Hospitality Counsel.
“Over the past nine months, the Luxe Restaurant Awards judges have been seeking out exemplary dining experiences in South Africa. Tonight, we have given these leading restaurants and chefs a platform to shine and celebrate their culinary genius. With all the unexpected changes we have endured over the past two years, people are now seeking out unique lifestyle experiences to build memories with their loved ones. And there is no greater experience than an award-winning restaurant.” Chad Fourie
Overall, twenty-five winners were announced from a wide and inclusive set of categories that ranged from the Culinary Icon of the Year to the Street Food Experience of the Year, with the winner of the prestigious Chef of the Year being awarded with an exclusive BMW experience.
THE 2022 LUXE RESTAURANT AWARDS CATEGORY WINNERS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Restaurant of the Year: La Colombe
- Chef of the Year: Wandile Mabaso
- New Restaurant of the Year: Pier
- Style Award: Zioux
- Culinary Icon Award: Siba Mtongana
- Culinary Media Personality of the Year: Cooking with Zanele
- Culinary Innovation Award: Candice Philip
- Culinary Rising Star Award: Besele Moloi
- Sustainability Award: The Test Kitchen Fledgelings
- Service Excellence Award: Basalt
- Pioneer Award: Luke Dale Roberts
- Cookbook of the Year: Hosting with The Lazy Makoti
- African Restaurant of the Year: Emazulwini
- Bistro of the Year: Embarc
- Burger Joint of the Year: BGR
- Café of the Year: Le Parc by Tashas
- Coffee Shop of the Year: Truth Café
- Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: La Petite Colombe
- Hotel Restaurant of the Year: Aurum
- International Restaurant of the Year: Ethos
- Lifestyle Restaurant of the Year: Tang
- Pop Up Experience of the Year: Katlego Mlambo at The Marabi Club
- Steakhouse of the Year: The Blockman
- Street Food Experience of the Year: How Bao Now
25.Wine Service Award: Michelle Moller – La Colombe
The Luxe Restaurant Awards is created by The Hospitality Counsel (HOSCO) in partnership with industry leading food critics and sponsored by OUTsurance.
GET IN TOUCH
+27 82 937 8995