We love this fresh and healthy recipe created by Cara-Lisa Sham from Caralishious, which wholesome but still packed with flavour.
Serves: 3-4 | Ready in 45 mins
1 litre boiled water
1 ½ cups long grain brown rice
3 tbsp. olive oil
½ onion finely diced
3 tsp. Himalayan Pink Crystal Salt
1 punnet Rosa tomatoes – washed and cut in half
3 tsp. xylitol
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. oregano
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp. crushed garlic
2 tsp. Himalayan Pink crystal salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup fresh rocket
¼ cup lightly toasted sunflower seeds
Ready cooked beef / chicken or salmon (optional)
For Pumpkin Seed Pesto
1 punnet fresh basil – destalked
1 cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
To make pesto Creamy Add 1 avocado – mashed (optional)
Step 1: Prepare Brown Rice
- Place boiled water into large cooking pot and bring to boil on stove.
- Add 3 tsp salt and 3 tsp olive oil to water
- Add long grain brown rice
- Boil for 20 minutes until rice is cooked (Remember that brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, and is usually firmer in texture)
- Once cooked remove from heat and allow to cool.
Step 2: Prepare Tomatoes
- Place 1 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. salt, garlic, chopped onion, oregano, thyme, pepper and xylitol in large frying pan and saute for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add Rosa tomatoes for 2 minutes – be careful not to over cook. Tomatoes should still be nice and firm.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Step 3: Add Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Add all ingredients for pesto to a high speed food processor and blend thoroughly until thick paste forms. Remove from blender and mix directly into cooled brown rice.
Step 4: Assemble
- Add cooled tomatoes to pesto and brown rice mixture and toss thoroughly to ensure an even distribution of flavour.
- Top with lightly toasted sunflower seeds and fresh rocket to finish off