You are here: Home | Recipes | Soups | Curried Butternut & Coconut Soup
Recipes | Soups | Curried Butternut & Coconut Soup
Curried Butternut & Coconut Soup
by Andrew Hammond Photography and Food
- 2l chicken or vegetable stock
- 1.5kg butternut
- 1 leek stem
- 1 onion
- 45ml peanut oil
- 50g ginger
- 10g garlic
- 20g fresh coriander
- 2g fresh chilli
- 1 ea lime juice & zest
- 2g ground cumin
- 2 ea cinnamon sticks
- 1g fennel seeds
- 1g mustard seeds
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 30ml honey
- 1 small tin coconut milk
- 125ml cream
- 2 stems spring onion – chopped
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger – grated
- 15ml peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon mild yellow
- Malaysian masala
- 60ml dry white wine
- 50g fresh coriander
- 4ea red chilli sliced
- 10g desiccated coconut
- Peel and cube butternut.
- Chop onions and leeks – wash leeks first.
- Peel and dice garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Heat peanut oil in a large pot; add mustard seeds and fennels seeds, stir for 30 seconds to allow mustard seeds to pop.
- Sauté onions, leek, ginger, garlic & chilli till golden
- Add cumin, cinnamon sticks, butternut, lime juice, zest & fresh coriander, chicken or vegetable stock and coconut milk; cook until butternut is soft.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and liquidise in food processor until smooth consistency; add honey to taste.
- For the cream, heat oil in a separate saucepan; sauté spring onion, garlic and ginger until golden, add masala and stir through. Add wine and deglaze.
- Add coconut milk and cream and reduce by half. Pass this coconut cream through a fine sieve and it is ready for use.
Serve the soup hot in warmed soup bowls, drizzled with coconut cream, garnished with coriander and coconut.