You are here: Home | Recipes | Desserts | Marshmallow Masterclass
Recipes | Desserts | Marshmallow Masterclass
by Chef Dilene Cranna
- 500g castor sugar
- 150ml water
- 50g liquid glucose
- 30g gelatine
- 4 ea egg whites
- Hydrate the gelatine and leave aside – follow package instructions to do this.
- Combine the water, castor sugar and liquid glucose in a saucepan; bring to the boil – at this stage, flavouring or a colorant may be added.
- Cook the sugar until it reaches 115ºC – about 10 minutes – until the sugar is sticky and starts to brown – the soft ball stage.
- In a Kitchen Aid or Kenwood Mixer – note, you cannot do this by hand – slowly whisk the egg whites to the soft-peak stage, careful not to overbeat them. Ensure you use a metal bowl for this, because of the temperature of the sugar.
- Once the sugar is at temperature, add the gelatine and ensure it is properly dissolved.
- Pour the hot sugar into the still whisking egg whites; turn the speed to full and beat until the mixture thickens and cools – about 10 minutes. Pour the mixture onto a tray lined with baking or wax paper and allow to cool overnight.
- Alternatively, the mixture can be piped into different shapes and decorated as desired; piped onto cookies and covered in chocolate like sweetie pies; or spread out and sprinkled with nuts and dried fruit and rolled up like a lollypop.